Learn about the criminal justice system ~ Discuss issues related to race relations, gang & hate crimes and sensitive current events ~ Engage in open discussions with top administrators
The Sacramento County District Attorney’s Office, Sacramento Police Department, Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office, and Sacramento County Probation Department are proud to announce the 21st Annual Citizens Academy. The 2020 Citizens Academy was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, this year’s program is being offered virtually.
The academy was created to improve communication, foster a better understanding and develop relationships between members of the criminal justice system and our citizens, including those from different ethnic, cultural and faith-based communities. Since the start of the academy in 2002, there have been 20 graduating classes with 1,100 participants.
The program provides an overview of the criminal justice system (law enforcement roles, responsibilities and challenges) and engages citizens from all backgrounds in discussion, participation and mutual learning about issues within the criminal justice system. Topics include a panel discussion on sensitive current events and “outside the box” approaches to the justice system.
Representatives from the District Attorney’s Office, Probation Department, Public Defender’s Office, law enforcement, the judiciary, and community organizations will provide information, answer questions and address community concerns.
DA Anne Marie Schubert states, “I highly encourage citizens across Sacramento County to participate in our virtual Citizens Academy, where they will meet and engage with various members of the criminal justice system. In this time of social distancing, we felt it was important to offer the academy virtually this year so we can continue building and strengthening relationships with the community we serve.”
There is NO cost to participants. The 10-week course is held Tuesday evenings starting April 6, 2021 to June 8, 2021, from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. via Zoom.
The deadline for submitting applications is March 12, 2021
Application: Visit https://www.sacda.org/in-the-community/citizens-academy/ to download the application
Program Contact: Chasity Barlow, at 916.874.5251, BarlowC@sacda.org, 901 G Street ~ Sacramento CA 95814 or Fax 916.321.2237
Tentative 2021 Class Schedule & Topics:
- Week 1: Welcome: Introduction to Law Enforcement Agencies in Our Community
- Week 2: Role of the District Attorney and Challenges: Anatomy of a Prosecution and Special Challenges for California Prosecutors
- Week 3: “Can We Talk?” – Understanding Use of Force
- Week 4: Seek Justice. Serve Justice. Do Justice. – Discussion of Sensitive Current Events
- Week 5: Hypothetical Case: Anatomy of a Criminal Case “The Big Picture”
- Week 6: CSI Today – On Scene Investigations, Crime Lab Analysis
- Field Trip: DA’s Office, Sacramento County Jail, Sacramento Superior Court, and the Public Defender’s Office (Virtual-TBD)
- Week 7: Specialized Areas of Prosecution
- Week 8: Federal Criminal Justice System, Recently Passed Initiatives & Laws
- Field Trip: Sacramento Youth Detention Facility Tour (Virtual-TBD)
- Week 9: Community Focus and Gangs
- Week 10: “Outside the Box” Approach to the Justice System
Photo by Robert Couse-Baker