by Candace Taylor, Rio Linda Elverta Historical Society
On April 25th the Rio Linda/Elverta Historical Society’s Board Member, Ralph Hants, took possession of two important historical artifacts as the Rio Linda Bridge Repacement Project is underway and demolition is nearly complete.
The 1937 plaque and official marker, dedicating the construction of the bridge on the corner of Rio Linda Boulevard and Main Street, will have a new, permanent home at the Rio Linda/Elverta Historical Society grounds at the site of the Dry Creek Parkway Museum and Farmhouse located at 6852 Dry Creek Road, Rio Linda, Calfornia.
The RLE Historical Society is a vital nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving the history of Rio Linda and Elverta. (www.rlehistorical.org).
Keil Barnard, Assistant Resident Engineer of the City of Sacramento, coordinated the removal of the plaque using a concrete jainsaw cutter and a lot of skill from his crew to lift two concrete blocks and place them in the bed of Mr. Hant’s trailer for transportation to the ranch house grounds.
The construction of the bridge includes the removal and reconstruction of the Rio Linda Boulevard Bridge and Magpie Creek and replacing sewer and water mains, adding roadway drainage systems, and realigning the Sacramento Northern Bike Trail and other improvements.